Sunday, April 3, 2016

10,000 buddhas

One 1/2 day in Hong Kong we took the train out a little ways into the mountains and visited the 10,000 buddhas monastery.  Everywhere we visited warned us of steep hikes and MANY stairs.  I think Japan has conditioned us.  None of the hikes or stairs felt steep or long!!  We've hiked so many stairs and steep mountainsides in Japan that we are prepared for just about anything :)

The hike really was astounding! there were SO MANY BUDDHAS.  I doubted the '10,000' number- but I'm pretty sure there were at least that many!



The big ones were pretty wild.  All sorts of crazy faces, actions, and positions!
This was the buddha I felt like I could relate most to :)

what is going on with this buddha's looooong arm?!






Once up top- there was a small restaurant and some more statues.  
The restaurant sold vegetarian sweet and sour 'chicken'.  I'd read reviews that it was pretty tasty.  I did not agree.  It was pretty gross.  Mack liked the rice.   He is our favorite big buddha.

One of the main shrines up top was covered- ceiling to floor- wall to wall- with small buddhas.  There are also little teeny buddhas in those cone looking structures.  

Hong Kong temples are so ornate and over the top with color and decor!  I loved it.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those kids are going to have the best memories of Buddhas, temples, and shrines. Cheerio from London!